Watch these videos.Google Doc's in Plain English
Using Google Docs without a Gmail address
Assignment:
- Open Google Docs
- Open the Document called 21 Things and follow the directions.
- Comment on your Blog and here what things you liked and disliked about Google Docs and how you might use it in your classroom.
12 comments:
Google docs has tremendous potential for the classroom. Being able to create forms, documents and presentations that can be edited in groups and shared with one another is awesome.
I like the fact that we can take the information and assignments that we do in google docs and embed it into a blog or web page.
It will be fun and interesting to see how kids respond to using this. Please let me know if and when we can use it with students who may not be 13 yet.
Justin
I can see some uses for the teachers using Google Docs. I know we often receive requests to look over forms from our office for input. These could be edited in groups and shared with all. Because I teach 4th grade, I don't believe my students are old enough to use this tool on their own. But I do see many opportunities as a teacher. Some of these are planning classroom holiday parties, field trip chaperone and permission information, and parent surveys. I almost wish I taught at the high school level, but not quite.
I can see where the "shared" documents in googledocs would be useful with staff.We recently created a form and needed staff input. This would have been a quick and easy way to get others input.
This is a great way to share documents, presentaions with others, or partners working on a project. This site enables the others to edit the document, respond, or do what ever they need to do. It is an easy way to get input from staff, stay in contact with staff etc.
Google docs could be used when working with a small group of other teachers, like when presenting something together at a staff meeting. We could work on the document at our own convenience, and still have the ability to collaborate and share our ideas with each other. In my 2nd grade class, we could write a shared story, then break into small groups and revise the story from different angles.
Thing 8 - Google Docs
This could be a great place for collaborative work in the classroom and between other classrooms. One small feature that I particularly like is being able to see all of the edits and by whom. Many times on group projects several carry the burden for the masses. This way it is easier to see how the work was divided up.
Professionally our team will be able to work together on documents without the email hassle factor. I think it will take a little bit of adjustment though before people are truly comfortable with it.
I LOVE how a document, spreadsheet, etc. can be worked on by several people at the same time--and in real time. It can make group work a lot easier for students and teachers. For a previous class, I had to do a little research on how people use google docs and I found a couple who use if for the grocery list! During the week, each person adds items to the list. The, the person doing the shopping after work just prints off a copy--no calling the other to say "honey, don't forget. . ."
I used something like this with "Moodle" for a classroom wedding project. It was great for the groups to get together at night from their homes-no more excuses that they can't get to each other's houses! Now they just need to have internet access-and if they don't, they have options at school and at SCC.
I use Google Docs almost everyday. My 8th grade students collaborated on an assignment for Science. They really like being able to see the changes other people make to the presentation. I like having them send me assignments that I can grade and comment on. It saves a lot of paper!
Post a Comment