Educational or Social BookmarkingOK-so it's really called social bookmarking but that might sound a little TOO FUN so we added Educational. Social Bookmarking sites like Delicious and Diigo bring some of the social aspects of Web 2.0 into keeping your bookmarks online (where you can access them anywhere you have Internet). You can network with others and find accounts (people) that save resources that you can find helpful. Why would you ever want to start looking for K-2 math resources when someone has already done it and marked the best ones? For the social bookmarking assignment, you will create a delicious account and bookmark 5 of your favorite resources that you use or could use in your classroom and tag them Thing5. You will also add me to your network. My username/account is gloveles. To get started, view the video below. If you need further help, there are plenty of resources on Delicious to get you started. If you get stuck, don't be afraid to Google, "Getting started with Delicious". You'll get YouTube videos and all kinds of tutorials!
Assignment Part 1:
1. Create a Delicious account, bookmark 5 sites and tag them Thing5 (notice no space between the g and the 5). Add gloveles to your network. Don't be afraid to search in Delicious to find other accounts that you may want to be a fan of or network with folks. Tell me in your blog what you like about Delicious, what you don't like, and how you think this site could be used in education.
Social Networking
The other part of Thing 5 is Social Networking. This is how Middle School and High School kids live and breathe (well, some of them) so it's very important for educators to see why they love it so much. I currently belong to 7 Social networks. I do not recommend this for everyone! Go to Ning and take a quick look at Popular Networks. Then type in a keyword to search for a network (maybe education would work). I am a member of MaculSpace, Moodle Meet, NECC 2008, Classroom 2.0, Ning in Education, Tech Camp for Educators, and Kalamazoo Area Schools Tech Support.
Assignment Part 2: 1)View the video below. 2)Go to Ning and take a quick look at Popular Networks. Join MaculSpace and another network of choice. Once you join, look around, view some discussion forums, see if any groups interest you and interact! 3)Tell me in the comments area what 'other' network you joined. 4)Add another blog entry to discuss Social Networking and whether you see a potential impact on education or your classroom.
13 comments:
I joined the MACUL social networking site. I will be checking out all they have to share. I have attended MACUL a few times and this will be a great way to network with other technology individuals and perhaps generate some technology teaching ideas.
I joined Macul and Relationships Talk. I answered a female question about whether or not she should stay with a boy she "loves" but lies and cheats on her.
The social networking will be a way for me to create a social site for each block/class and generate conversation with them and they with me.
I joined Ning in Education. I'm not sure that I will use this very much because of time issues. I would like to take some time to check it out and see if it is useful.
I joined up with The Teachers' Lounge and California 2nd Grade Teachers. while I couldn't use these sites with my 2nd graders, it could be a good way to learn and share new ideas (as well as frustrations regarding those ideas). Problem solving with others is frequently easier than trying it alone.
I joined Tech camp for educators. I liked Delicious because it just gave me a way to share my google bookmarks with the teacher who just took over my social studies position after I was switched to Science. It will also be a way to share urls with my students.
I also signed up for the classroom 2.o social networking site. I'm hoping that I can gain some ideas as well as perhaps share some ideas about different web 2.o gadgets and features that can be used in my calssroom.
I joined Art Education. I will have to review the site to remember what it involved and all the useful information that it offered.. My head is spinning!
I joined MACUL and Classroom 2.0. I did not leave any comments, but read quite a few postings/comments about teaching math using technolgy. I saved it to my delicious site so I can find it easily later.
Using a social site may not be good for discussing math problems or equations, (finding the right math symbols to type proves difficult), but I may be able to generate some meaningful conversation about how students feel about math and how it can/should be changed to meet their needs better. Comments from a student's point of view may prove extremely helpful.
Thing 5 - Educational Bookmarking/Networking
Educational Bookmarking
Delicious, an internet-based bookmarking site, has the potential to be amazingly helpful to me as an educator. Besides the obvious of allowing me to access my "favorites" from any computer it does several other jobs nicely. First, it can make searching topics more meaningful since it shows how many others have tagged the same idea. Also I can tap into any one individual's bookmarks to see other sites that might be useful to me. Finally, in the classroom I could have students access certain sites through published bookmarks. I would like to spend time "playing" in this site.
Networking
I joined the social network of Ning in Education. It is a forum of individuals interested in education (really?!). Anyway, I have found information about some current research in several different areas and discussions regarding it. I could join different groups within this site that are of interest to me. There were other nings that would be of interest to students however after reading more in my "ning" it was pointed out that nings could not be utilized by students under 13 years of age. This could present a challenge.
I also joined MACUL and took a look around. I still am not certain what this site is all about. I did notice that many of the posts are several months old. This made me wonder how much activity this site saw.
Along with Art Education Online I also joined Art Masters, Maculspace, Masterworks Fine Art. I like how easy it is to find prints from artists. The resources will be very helpful for students and the teacher when wanting to find things quickly.
Post a Comment