Saturday, September 20, 2008

Thing 2 - Web 2.0

From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Web 2.0 is a term describing the trend in the use of World Wide Web technology and web design that aims to enhance creativity, information sharing, and, most notably, collaboration among users. These concepts have led to the development and evolution of web-based communities and hosted services, such as social-networking sites, wikis, blogs, and folksonomies.




Assignments:
READ:
"A Day in the Life of Web 2.0" by David Warlick. Add a comment to relate how the environment he describes makes you feel.

WATCH: Pay Attention! Comment on your thoughts.


PLAN: Explore these Web 2.0 Tools

Click on the down arrow next to Select tag then click on a Tag (category) that interest you. From the services that appear, select ONE. Research that site for 3 minutes. Add a comment here to describe it and state whether it could be useful to you in your classroom or not?

104 comments:

mushroom1 said...

I will set up my data projector where my overhead is currently setup. It is toward a corner of my room.

I have access to a document camera through our Media Center or borrow from Pam Keeslar.

I would use the document camera as a demonstration center for math, science, and social studies concepts. I would use maps and allow students to project maps on the whiteboard to trace and produce large scale maps. I could demonstrate step by step use of calculators.

I would like to use a cell phone to send information on assignments and reminders to parents and students.

mary said...

Reading this makes me see how technology is moving foward leaps and bounds. I felt good about where I was and now I see I am so far behind the curve. On-going tech support is so important for teachers!

Anita said...

I was totally blown away by this article! It is amazing to me what we could be doing with technology that is available to us right now. Reading everything that these teachers are doing makes me feel like I'm way behind. I want to do some of this. Where do I begin?

Chris said...

I feel overwhelmed. There is so much going on, but yet it seems so exciting. I have a lot to learn.

Susan said...

Warlick's environment made me feel very much behind the times. I can't imagine working in such an environment. It blows my mind.

Melissa said...

The article makes me feel a little overwhelmed. I am concerned about getting an entire staff on board; I think some would be reluctant. In order for it to be truly successful, everyone would need to participate. Doing something like that would raise accountability and benefit the students.
I searched timeline through the Web 2.0. I found a site to create timelines, and this could be used in a classroom. Students could do a timeline of their own lives, or research a topic.

mary said...

I went to byNotes, a sharing site. It allows you to post comments, pictures, maps and share where you are and what you are doing with family and friends. As someone who travels, this site would be a fun way to share.

egreen said...

I searched the site Runner+. On this site athletes and fitness freaks can log there miles and communicate about workouts, music and fitness. During a quick glance this would not be a site that I would subscribe to.

Anita said...

I loved the cuil site. I entered a search on dog food and this site organized all the web pages that it brought up. It was complete with pictures and also provided other tabs to explore by category. Yes, I would use this site again.

Susan said...

I chose yoowalk which allows you to walk around the web ina 3D virtual world. you can talk with friends, look at things, and communicate with others around the world.

Audrey said...

The "Day in the Life of 2.0" seem like a school that is in the ivory tower. It would be WONDERFUL to work with technology the way that is described and collaborate with different teachers. But, unfortunately, I don't see it at Sturgis High School in the near future. Perhaps in five or ten years. But then we will be on to the next new thing! :)

I selected the tag "teacher". The website YacaPaca caught my attention. The website requires users to register and login to investigate what it can do. but, I did find a quick summary of the site: "With YacaPaca users can create quizzes, surveys, tests,and more. Discover modify and share assessments. Set work for the whole class with a few mouse clicks, and analyse with tools that improve your teaching." I could be useful for a teacher that does not have much software to write tests/quizzes. I probably will not be using the site because I have exam view and data director that I still need to be more familiar with.

Chris said...

OO Desk allows you to access your information from anywhere. It offers music, messaging,communication and so much more.

ddoe said...

My response to "A Day in the Life of Web 2.0" is an immediate sense of fear of the unknown. I realize that there is so much I do not know about all of the different types of technology that is available today. I recognize that I must learn to shake the fear and begin to choose a technology tool that I can use and start learning more about it and using it. As I continue investigating and learning about the tools, one at a time, I will eventually come to feel more secure in this unknown world!

Ironically, the Web 2.0 Tool that I explored was called "Lifetick"...Lifetick is about helping you develop purpose in your own life. Setting goals that will help you to take better control of your life through simple planning and coordinating of tasks that need to be done.

It is something that I could use to help out with my goal of becoming more technologically literate.

mimiller said...

Wow, it amazes me how technology and blogs are being used in classrooms. I a beginning to see and understand how I could get blogs and other technologies to be used successfully in a 3rd grade setting. Web 2.0 could be useful in some ways, but I am a bit skeptical of some of the content that they kids could get in to. However, the items that were found in the search were quite useful as they included forums and videos and the like. With a bit more investigating I think this could be quite useful for teachers in the classroom.

Sally said...

"A Day In The Life": YIKES, cool! Will someone do my laundry and clean my house while I learn?
Collaborative Drawing Community
At Scribbls, you can combine thousands of different drawings to create an infinite number of outcomes

Miss Riley loves blogging said...

The students love using their cell phones so I would love to be able to use those for educational purposes!

Blog This said...

I choose quotes daddy. i thought that it could be useful to the students but with the minimal amount of time i had i wasn't able to fully use it. however, when a student is doing a project or something of this nature they would be able to type in a search and possibly see some famous quotes about this idea.

PDiddy said...

This article made my head spin~!

tclark said...

The first thought that came to my mind reading this article was "overload." The many terms and concepts are a little overwhelming to me at this point, however it is also really exciting to know that we have the potential and the ability to help our children move forward and excel in this increasingly technological world.

Bowmans Blog said...

The article was good but a little over my head so far. :)

HubertKeeslarBlog said...

This article is a little confusing, but it seems like the entire district would have to spend a lot of time on dedication to this. Time is something many people are not willing to give. If they were, however, I belive this could be very beneficial, especially bringing parents into their child's schooling.

Pat Ort said...

The video is great. What needs to happen is EVERYONE must have access. I have 6 student computers in my room, and many would use up minutes they pay for if I made it part of a class. Practical solutions would pave the way to incorporating more of these media. And some way of making sure we aren't just doing 'projects for projects sake' but are really exploring meaningful content.

Mr Beebe SHS Blog said...

While it seems like a great idea to potentially have an English classroom with no study guides driven by student editing and defining what is taught...wouldn't the state DOE have a little something to say about that in terms of adhering to state standards?
And i like quotedaddy.com, it is divided neatly into a variety of categories to find appropriate quotes.

Snyder said...

It was really neat to see how technology has changed and how it can be used in a classroom. I would like to find out how I would be able to do some of these activities with my students.

littleblogger said...

Keeping up with the GLCEs and keeping focused on the learning environment in my classroom and student growth already have my head spinning. I want technology to make these things all come together more efficiently. Can blogging help?

Anonymous said...

I looked at Capzles. It's a timeline page that allows you to upload pics and videos as a timeline. It could be used in a professional development matter showing others how a project took place or how students progressed through a project. I'm thinking about a baby's life and how i could document things for parents on the eastside of the state and it would all be in a timeline fashion.

shsroom135 said...

Wow!!! It sounds like alot of new habits.

tclark said...

The Dabbleboard is awesome! It is a whiteboard that can be "drawn" or written on, and allows you to incorporate other images into your activity. You can also copy or reuse drawings or charts that other people have created. It would have many uses in an elementary classroom.

The Godfather said...

Wow, I loved this article. I was impressed with all of those teachers working with each other to help students understand those concepts, and all were in different departments. It would be great to have blogs, pod cast, wikis here at Sturgis, but I think that it would take a collaboration of all to make it effective.

I found Roxer to be an effective link because it aids in creating webpages.

Bowmans Blog said...

So cool! Found a site to plan how you are going to set up a room in your house or classroom. Would use it so I do planning before the work! :) planningwiz.com

Creating success said...

I am very overwhelmed, but so excited about all this knowledge.

Anonymous said...

Good article. Exciting to think about this happening at Sturgis!

Jim said...

This is interesting. What great way to learn from each other. A complete connected learning environment. Across the curriculum, cooperative learning, which includes our students as teachers.

mtimm said...

After reading this article, it is amazing to see how far technology has come! We can easily communicate with our educational peers as well as administration and parents. I think this is a great tool to keep everyone on the same page!

cmetzger said...

Reading this article is overwhelming. I am definitely behind in tech issues. I see a great benefit to teachers blogging together. How cool would it be for us to actually work together like the teachers and administrators in the article!!

Mr. Griffin said...

The article was an amazing and overwhelming example of how we can use wikkis, social networking, blogging and other technology resources to work collaboratively in a group acrossed a variety of curricular areas. This would be great for sharing information and for working collaboratively on group projects or for teacher professional development.

kcrabill said...

Reading the article makes my hands sweat and my heart race (could be the coffee!) due to anxiety. I do not feel at all prepared to engage in this type of technology use. I am sure as I learn more, I will feel more comfortable. It is exciting to think of all that is out there to use.

vmetzger said...

Seems to be a utopian view of school in the future. I have a lot of questions about not only the time involved, but the difficulty in policing student activity. I can see a limited use for all of this technology, but I think we still have a ways to go to work out the details.

Mrs. Wheeler said...

Regarding "A Day in the Life"...wow! My technology-illiterate mind is overwhelmed. I knew of some of the things that could be done, but reading that article opened my eyes. This really opens a lot of avenues for more teacher/parent/student communication.
Regarding the Go2Web20, I checked out the whiteboard site. It's really cool! I could see Math teachers really getting a lot of use out of that one.

Brew"s Blogs said...

re: A Day in the Life

I am overwhelmed. I thing the universal communication is wonderful! A couple of issues I see at this point are that all students would need constant access to this technology (which we don't have now); in addition, I never have enough time to do the lesson planning, assessment evaluations, grading, etc. that I need to now. I am not sure at this point how to learn and fit in all of this new technology. I do find it exciting even though it seems daunting now.

vmetzger said...

Web 2.0 tools look like they could be very useful for researching many things, not just for teachers, but for students as well.

Kristi said...

I went to Zoobu which is a website to setup a virtual tour that allows 360 degree views. I saw samples of tours trying to sell a vehicle, display condos for sale, and market a touristic place. It seems it would lead you through directions to make it as simple as possible to set up your own tour.

Mr. Griffin said...

Tweenky is a web based microblogging that supports the program twitter. It allows you to track content,organize favorite people, topic and you can even have it sent to your email or IM clients. Not to mention it works on your iphone.

mtimm said...

The tool I chose was Bitstripes. This site allows students to read comics as well as create their own comics. Having students create their own comics is just another way for them to express themselves. Besides, laughter is an instant vacation!

cmetzger said...

Web 2.0 was very interesting. Only a few minutes was not enough. I looked at the Quote Daddy website. I like to use quotes with pics. It certainly made me laugh!!

Brew"s Blogs said...

I found a tool called Protagonize. I think it could be a great tool for an English teacher. You can create your own stories, comment on others' stories, have people comment on your writing, etc, etc. what a great way to peer edit and recieve tips from others as well.

Stephen Erts said...

WOW! it was just second nature for the teachers and community to go to the computer and blog, wiki and subscribe. I think we have a long way on that journey but fortunatly/UNfortunatly I think we are on the way there. I just worry about genuine person-to-person interactions. I also think there is a TON of potential!

I found Dripbook in Web 2.0. It is a site to share your personal portfolio and create a very inexpensive web presence.

kcrabill said...

Web 2.0 is awesome! The different types of sites available is amazing! I checked out the garage site. It is a site that allows you to see what garage sales are available in your area.
I also checked out another site that pairs food with wine... yum!

ddykstra said...

I looked at Dabbleboard which is a digital whiteboard. I thought this might be useful for graphic organizers for the writing process. You can also draw on this white board and save your drawings and other information. This would be useful for an extended project.

running to a blog said...

Obviously technologyis necessary to compete in tody's world. Finding the time to sit at the computer is my biggest challenge. I love to "play" with all the technolgy.

Wendy Jenks said...

Wow! This stuff is amazing, and overwhelming. I can definately see many of these things coming to life in my world and I can definately see the value of many of them.

Dinsmore said...

And this is happening where? I could see bits and pieces of this occuring on a regular basis but find it all somewhat overhelming. Hence, one of the reasons I'm here today.

kc's blog said...

This article makes me wonder...what is going to happen to good old fashioned face-to-face communication? It scares me to think that this could be a possibility in the very near future.

Tyler said...

This was a really neat idea. A little to far ahead as of right now. School may come to this as the years go on. It seems that we are being surrounded by more and more technology. Technology is helping students finding more information and finding it quicker.

21thingsGundlach said...

I was most impressed by the way the students were able to communicate with each other. The moment they had an idea about an assignment they communicated with each other and the students were enthused enough to go right to work by using the variety of technologies available to them. I also liked the way the teachers used cross curriculum teaching and had greater access to information by using "community" information.

Ice Burg said...

WOW!!! Very interesting article and would be great to incorporate this technology in my room, but I agree with Sally...who will teach, grade my papers, coach, clean, cook, and do my laundry for me while I learn...I will take it one step at a time. :)

Irish said...

Hmmm, the article... it is a little overwhelming. I would like to do those things. I will just take it one step at a time.

Does this mean that my cell phone and ipod would be tax write offs??? I would be using them for my job.

kc's blog said...

My students are addicted to Wii. I found information about using Nintendo Wii for things other than games. It can actually be used with a computer and children can use Wii Browser to create their own browser page. I am discovering that Nintendo Wii is coming out with many different things that can be used with it other than gaming.

running to a blog said...

This web site could be used as a fitness tool. If all students had a computer this would be a great tool for setting up and tracking a fitness program.

Tyler said...

I looked at the ipod website and it didn't seem to have a teaching use to me. There was not a lot of information on this section. This obviously is not something I would advise someone to look at.

Ellen said...

I explored widgenie for 3 minutes. It is a way to easily put your excel spreadsheet data into a web page. What I discovered is that I needed more then 3 minutes! In other words this site is worth exploring further especially for teachers and coaches that want to incorporate data on their web pages. Check it out, if you get a chance.

21thingsGundlach said...

I am amazed at what is out there! I knew I didn't know everything about technology, but now I feel like my knowledge is just a grain of sand on a beach. It's amazing what is out there, but most of all it's amazing how easy it can be to access the information with the proper tools.

Ice Burg said...

Remember the Milk is pretty neat especially for those people who are unorganized or those who are obsessed with having all their ducks in a row. It is an online task manager.

Dinsmore said...

I looked at Graphsy thinking it would be good in my math classroom. It really is a spreadsheet graphing application.

I also quickly looked at Quotedaddy.com. Thought this could be used in the classroom.

Irish said...

I like the Quotes Daddy, the Graphsy and the FixUpMyPics ones. I am sure I could use many of them but I'm not sure when I would look at all of them.

Wendy Jenks said...

OK, All I can say is WOW again. I thought I was fairly current in my knowledge of the internet and the things that were out there. I obviously don't have a clue. It proves to me once again that as a parent and a teacher I need to work hard at staying aware of what is out there so that I can help guide the kids to use these tools responsibly.

Anonymous said...

this will have a huge impact on communication both within the school and with the community

Leach said...

There are many ways to use web 2.0 tools in ALL classrooms. There are so many, it is somewhat overwhelming. Sorting through the tools and thinking about ways to use them takes time.

Unknown said...

How fast things spread. I see the blogging being used more at the high school level, however posting assignments and having students help each other on an assignment at the elementary level is something that could easily be done.

Brian said...

I now realize the endless possibilities for implementing new technologies into teaching.

Science 6B said...

Great article and information. It's amazing how so many teachers can share and use each other's info.

Science 6B said...

Great article and information. It's amazing how so many teachers can share and use each other's info.

Ms. Marks said...

The article was very interesting. I think as a staff we would need to have more training to be able to do what some of the teachers in the article are doing. I really liked the teacher who had his students make their own study guide and made it a contest.

mhahn said...

The article was very interesting because each new person was feeding off of something that the previous person did. It is amazing that so many people were connected at one time.

TechTeacher308 said...

I felt like this article was science fiction. It is unbelievable what possibilities exist with technology. It was great how the teachers, students, parents, and administrators worked together to meet the goal of teaching the students. I want to use these things, but I feel like I am being left behind in a cloud of dust. I hope this class catches me up a bit!

Mrs. Cindy Sprowl said...

Certainly, I received some great suggestions for how Web 2.0 can be used in the educational environment and am excited about using Web 2.0 to enhance what I am doing with my students.

P.S. Web 2.0 is moving education into places people 30 years ago could only have imagined. I know. I was there! :)

Ms. David said...

I like to use the internet for assignments and communication because I think that it is easy for students to talk about a topic without worrying about grammar, spelling, and punctuation. It lets students complete an assignment without the stress of grammar everytime they're doing an assignement. It also helps them to get more ideas about a topic by looking at other students responses. Students can also help eachother with an assignment by commenting on eachothers published ideas.

J.R. said...

For students to be able to fully participate in this technology teaching them to read becomes even more vital to their success.

Carol said...

I am amazed that technology is this advanced that everyone has these capablilities. I think it sounds wonderful.

Unknown said...

Some really sites on Web 2.0. I found a site that pretty much replaces the mimo boards. I have a mimo and use it often. I would like to try this online software to see if it works just as well as the mimo.

Science 6W said...

This article was interesting. It's amazing how technology can really help parents/students/teachers communicate. I think there are some great tools that the middle school staff could use to communicate with each other.

mhahn said...

You could get lost forever on the gotoweb2.0. there were sooo many things to go into. I explored lots of map sites that would be great to use if I was going on vacation.

Ms. David said...

Doodlekit:

This would be a great site for students to visit to create their own website. You could use a student website to allow them to post assignments on their website.It also allows students to be creative while completing their assignments.

Carol said...

Too much info and very confusing for me. I need more time to appreciate all it has to offer.

Jane R. said...

I like the creative site for those who do not like to draw. But you can also draw your own things. It is called whiteboard.

tech class blog said...

This was interesting and shows that tech opens communication between everyone. It raises a concern of finding time to stay current reading and watching all the podcasts and in finding time in daily schedules to collaborate with others.

Science 6B said...

Go to Stickified. It is a place to create sticky notes for blogs and emails.

Brian said...

Wrapr is a site that allows you to put images into an interactive panoramic view.

Anonymous said...

The Web 2.0 article was interesting. I would love to do just half the things mentioned in there! The money your school has makes a big difference too.

I went to tweegee.com, a website for kids under 13. At first I really liked it, but then I found you could chat with anyone and it let me register as a user. I'm definitely over 13! So it made me wonder how safe it is.

Jim said...

I am feeling a bit behind in the tech of today. There are many ways to deliver content to our students.

Keith said...

I get a little overwhelmed with all of it. I think each dept. could use some specific lesson training with all of these resources. I think it's exciting and I think it's another great way for students to receive content.

MonsieurMiller said...

I feel hungry!

Oh, you mean the fictitious CGMS (Computer Geek Middle School):

It is ideally wonderful. But will kids use technology to this extent for learning? Also, when being so dependent on thechnology, we become vulnerable to technological breakdowns.

Jerry said...

I feel we arre going into an age where technology will be guiding learning from the beginning of the learning process. Students will expect to having learning to occur in certain ways which are foreign to many now teaching.

Unknown said...

Wow. In our own environment we always seem to address the technology being available to students outside school---this issue remains. Having everyone "up-to-speed" also seems to be an issue that keeps new technology from being used.

Jane said...

Wow! I feel like I just visited "Alice in Wiki Wonderland"!
Perhaps there are a few school communities that interact this extensively, but I think Sturgis has a little way to go. I do believe this is entirely possible; it just takes time, and education, and a committment of resources to make it happen. I truly am hopeful that we will be truly cutting edge someday soon. I know we have the people who can make it happen.

Jerry said...

animate.com site is an interesting way to use animation to tell stories

Keith said...

I scanned the te!! a friend site. It seemed pretty 22nd century techie...something most kids could pick up in 2 minutes. It seems to be a great way to get the word out technically.

MonsieurMiller said...

My first WEB2.0 experience landed me on a virtual tour site--very cool!

Jane said...

I looked at Foodzie, which will eventually feature all sorts of food vendors. I am obsessed with cooking and eating, so this will be a site I will return to when it is complete. Mmmmmm!

Jim said...

never got on the page to make a comment

Mr. Smith said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Mr. Schau said...

WOW!!!It's exciting to see that is possible. This environment is "cool" because everybody is interconnected. Every teacher seems to be informed of what everyone else is doing through this. This allows them to be more interactive in tying lessons together. Is this possible? Is this possible at SPS? It would take a lot of work.

To me, this is awesome! We fortunately (or unfortunately) live in a world now where we have to make learning dynamic.

Mr. Golden said...

I am sure more good than bad will come from this new type of technology, I feel however that this technology will be abused at the middle school level rather than used properly. Having kids send messages to one another during the school day seems to interfere more with the daily tasks going on in the class room. Do we really have to be in instant contact with every one all the time?

Mr. Smith said...

Delete Comment From: 21 Things


nsmith said...
I think the possibilities are very exciting, however, I'm also very apprehensive. I see the extreme value in it but I worry about the students that don't have access to technology getting left behind. If this is used, then everybody must have the means to use it. I would have a difficult time getting used to running a classroom and collaborating with collegues is this way. I'm willing to learn the technology and give it a try.